We Had A Housewarming Party...And Here's What I Learned:

We closed on our *first home* December 9th, 2016 and moved the same day. So having been in the house for a few months now, we are technically "settled" although still under-decorated. T kept prompting me to pick a date for a housewarming party and I just kept thinking, "well I still want to do this and that and this and that.." So it hit me last month that if I waited until the house was "ready" then we would be having a housewarming party six years from now. I bit the bullet and gave him a date.

The Invitation
Keep it casual, send out a Facebook evite. Check to see how many people your husband invited so you don't have a heart attack 24hrs later.

The Food
Get app happy. "What can I bring?" "Bring an app. EVERYBODY BRING AN APP." All apps all night. With 40 people in the house who wants to sit down for dinner? Nobody. Dessert is also acceptable.

The most important detail is what is on the cake stand.
The Booze
Stock the beer fridge and set up the wine bar...but also expect everyone to come through the door with at least one bottle of booze. Happy Housewarming indeed!

The Cleaning
I cleaned like a psychopath for the week leading up to this shin dig. We learned that yes, we should clean everything up, but no need to freakin' redecorate the whole house. See the following video to understand me in full pre-company cleaning mode.

Fresh flowers help. Kudos to my in-laws for these lovelies.
The Day Of
I had to work the day of and was totally cool, calm, and collected until about 2:00 when I was hit by an overwhelming sense of anxiety that I wasn't going to get everything done. SO leave work early or take the damn day off. DUH EMILY.
Me having a moment while my family is at the door.
The Aftermath
Prepare for guests to sleepover, because even if the DD situation looks organized, several people (with various allergies to your pets) may just end up on your couch or in your guest rooms unable to get home.

Comments

Popular Posts